11 – 26 June 2022・Location: Sendai Umino-Mori Aquarium, Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture...
A limited time firefly watching event!
The season of firefly watching is upon us! In celebration, a special exhibition "Forest of Fireflies" will be held at Sendai Uminomori Aquarium. Admire the soft light of 20-30 of these nocturnal beetles through the peephole of an aquarium with dimmed light. Two types of fireflies will be present at the exhibition, "Genji fireflies" and "Heike fireflies", both of which are specific to Miyagi Prefrecture and were bred in the aquarium. Firefly larvae as well as the larvae's main food, river snails, will also be on display, along with panels explaining the ecology and breeding activities of fireflies.
On the first floor, you can also admire the beautiful bell-shaped purple Firefly Pouch Flower (Hotaru Bukuro) display in the section about the Hirose River. This flower gets its name from children who would commonly play with fireflies inside the pouch-shaped flowers. The best time to see these flowers which grow in the wild all over Japan (especially on mountain trails) is from June to July.
Don’t miss this great opportunity to admire the glimmering lights of fireflies this season!
Time: 9:00PM–5:30PM (last entry 5:00PM)
- Adults: 2200 yen
- Junior high, high school students and senior citizens (65 years old or older): 1600 yen
- Elementary school students: 1100 yen
- Children 4 years old or younger: 600 yen
- Adult and Elementary School Student Limited Discounted Ticket (includes an "original novelty book"): 2900 yen
- Adult and Child Limited Discounted Ticket (includes an "original novelty book"): 2500 yen
Location: Sendai Umino-Mori Aquarium, Sendai
Written by Catrina Sugita
Writer & 2022 Editor-in-Chief