Have you ever caught yourself wondering how to make use of your language skills in a meaningful way? Maybe you want to learn more about Sendai to open up new horizons in your mind or wish to be able to talk about Sendai in a more wholesome fashion. If any of these points apply to you, dear reader (and even if not), please let us introduce you to this project:
i-Sendai, the official Tourist Information Desk of the city, is offering a course that aims to carry a fresh new wind into the tourist guide world of Sendai.
The “SENDAI Guest Relations Program” consists of 8 classes given by Tomoyuki Watanabe. The Sendai native has ample experience presenting exciting and surprising sides of the city, having worked as a tour guide, festival coordinator and stadium DJ.
The classes will be held on Wednesdays only, from 18:30 to 20:30. Here are the dates and contents:
- July 5 > Orientation, history of Sendai and the main shopping streets of the city
- July 12 > In-depth information about the shopping streets I (Hapina Nakakecho, Clis Road, Marble Road Omachi)
- July 19 > In-depth information about the shopping streets II (Sun Mall Ichibancho, Vlandome Ichibancho, Ichibancho Yonchome)
- July 26 > In-depth information about the shopping streets III (Sendai Asaichi Market, Honcho) and important points to keep in mind during a guided tour
- July 30 > Example of a Walking Tour through the shopping streets (roughly 2 hours, time TBA, voluntary participation)
- August 16 > How to Build a Tour Course I Group Work - From Planning to Realization (hints for the process)
- August 30 > How to Build Tour Course II Group Work - Final Check
- Mid of September > Carrying out the tours together (date and time TBA)
- September 27 > Presentation of the courses
After the classes are over, participants will be recognized as volunteer staff of the Tourist Information Desk and, as such, are qualified to give guides through the city to visitors.
The classes themselves are held in Japanese, so be prepared. However, the Information Desk is actively looking for people proficient in any foreign language – be it English, Chinese, Korean or something else.
Registration is open right now and will close on June 23rd. If you are interested in getting to know Sendai better AND make use of that knowledge later, send an email in Japanese to email@example.com. Please provide the following information in the email:
- Telephone Number
- Mail Address
- Employer or current school name
- A short description of yourself (200 characters or less)
- How you found out about this program
Let us know if we will see you there!